The Bilingual Education Specialist participates in the development, delivery and ongoing assessment of multidisciplinary and Spanish bilingual programs at the Aquarium and offsite for PreK-12th grade school groups, teens, teachers and/or community members which incorporate the Aquarium's main messages and exemplify effective communication, emphasize high levels of learner participation, allow for diverse needs of learners and accommodate the learning styles and conservation readiness of very young children as well as adults.
The Bilingual Education Specialist participates in the development, delivery and ongoing assessment of education programs offered during the day, after school, evenings and weekends, on-site and off-site, assuming leadership roles as needed.
- As a program team member, participate in the development, implementation and ongoing assessment of specific projects within a larger program area.
- Serve as a resource and mentor to volunteers in the development of job skills.
- Participate in the development and testing of instructional materials for education programs and projects.
- Deliver programs at the Aquarium and off-site fluently in Spanish and English as required.
- Represent the department, division and the Aquarium to the general public, visiting dignitaries and the professional education community.
- Work with a wide variety of staff and volunteers.
- Participate in ongoing programmatic tasks as needed
Absolutely Required Skills / Knowledge / Ability / Experience or Education
- Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English
- Comfort in public speaking and language translation in English and Spanish
- Two or more years of experience implementing and evaluating programs
- Creative and effective speaking skills
- Able to write clearly and concisely
- Strong and effective interpersonal skills
- Flexible with changes in work priorities
- Must have a valid CA drivers license and be able to drive Aquarium vehicles
- Mature work habits, task and detail oriented
- BS/BA degree
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an environment free from any form of unlawful discrimination. Discriminatory actions are strictly prohibited and we are committed to engaging in affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination. It is the policy of the Monterey Bay Aquarium to promote a positive program of specific practices designed to ensure equal opportunity without regard to race, sex (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partnership status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, special disabled veteran status, veteran status, medical condition, genetic characteristics and information, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), parental status, political affiliations, military service, family care leave status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful. This policy governs all aspects of employment at the Aquarium, including hiring, assignments, training, promotions, compensation, employee benefits, employee discipline and discharge, and all other terms and conditions of employment