Telemundo Deportes’ extensive soccer coverage will be led by the voice of soccer in the U.S. and six-time Emmy Award-winning commentator Andres Cantor who will be calling the action of select matches from Japan, alongside former Olympian and analyst Manuel Sol. In addition, legendary Mexican goal scorer Carlos Hermosillo and renowned commentators Copan Alvarez, Sammy Sadovnik and Eduardo Biscayart will also be part of the team calling and analyzing the soccer action.
Emmy Award-nominee Ana Jurka and Emmy-award winner Miguel Gurwitz will host Telemundo Network’s live coverage from Tokyo throughout the Olympic Games, bringing the latest from the host city and anchoring the network’s live coverage every evening throughout the duration of the Games. Tokyo will be Jurka’s second Olympic Games with Telemundo; she has also served as co-host of the FIFA Men’s World Cup from Russia in 2018 and led the Women’s FIFA World Cup from Paris in 2019. Gurwitz has covered Summer Olympics since 2000 and served as the lead studio host for Telemundo Deportes’ coverage of the Rio Olympics in 2016 & the FIFA Men’s World Cup from Russia in 2018.
Telemundo’s recap show that will air every weekday at 1 p.m. ET/PT will be anchored by Al Rojo Vivo’s Jessica Carrillo alongside Telemundo Deportes’ host of Boxeo Telemundo and TYM, Karim Mendiburu, bringing the latest highlights and best Olympic stories of the day live from Telemundo Center. This will be Mendiburu’s fourth consecutive Olympic Games with Telemundo while Carrillo returns to join the Sports team after co-hosting Rio 2016’s coverage.
Telemundo Deportes’ team of on-air talent will be complemented by an unmatched team of experienced Olympic journalists and former athletes and Olympians to enhance the coverage with wide expertise across all sports disciplines. The diverse team of experts include:
- Walter Herrmann – The Argentinean former professional basketball player and Olympic gold medalist will serve as analyst for Telemundo’s coverage around basketball. Herrmann was a key member of the men’s Argentine national basketball team that won the gold medal during the 2004 Summer Olympic Games.
- Raul Marquez – Mexican-American professional boxer, IBF champion and former Olympian who represented U.S. at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona. Marquez will serve as boxing analyst during the Olympics.
- Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez – Olympic gold-medalist and one of the greatest Cuban baseball pitchers to ever play in the Major Leagues will be providing analysis for all baseball coverage during Tokyo 2020. Throughout his career, Hernandez was an integral part of 4 World Series Championship teams. Prior to joining the MLB, El Duque had a successful baseball career in Cuba and was part of the gold-winning Olympic team at the 1992 Summer Games in Barcelona.
- Amelia Valverde – As the current head coach of the Costa Rica Women’s National Team, Valverde will bring her expertise and experience in the field to the Olympic’s women soccer coverage contributing as game and studio analyst. She returns to the Telemundo Deportes team of experts following her contributions during the Spanish-language coverage of the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019.
- Natalia Astrain – Astrain joins Telemundo Deportes’ on-air team to serve as soccer analyst for the Women’s soccer competition. She is a well-respected soccer coach from Pamplona, Spain who most recently joined NWSL’s Kansas City as assistant coach after a long run in Spain with FC Barcelona, Atletico de Madrid and the Spanish Federation.
- Yendy Cortinas – Cortinas is a former volleyball who represented Mexico in four World Championships, three Central American Games and two Pan American Games. She will serve as game analyst for the volleyball coverage.
- Rene Giraldo – the veteran boxing expert and Florida Boxing Hall of Famer returns to call the boxing matches, marking his fifth Olympic coverage.
- Jessica Rosa Andino – renowned Olympic journalist from Puerto Rico who returns to serve as commentator for beach volleyball and volleyball coverage. She has been part of Telemundo’s team of Olympic commentators since the 2008 Beijing Games.
- Mara Montero – Montero is a veteran Olympic specialist who has covered the Summer Games since Barcelona 1992. This will be her fifth Games with Telemundo covering a variety of sports including gymnastics, diving, track and field and synchronized swimming.
- Jessica Cediel – The Colombian model, host and influencer will be reporting from Tokyo bringing all the color around the host city and the latest around the Games.