ESPN Deportes will begin its 2013 coverage of Major League Baseball (MLB) airing the Opening Night matchup between the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros March 31 at 8 p.m. ET. The network will air 23 regular season games and the Home Run Derby. ESPN Deportes Radio will broadcast regular season games on a weekly basis, as well as some post-season matchups and the World Series.
For the eighth consecutive year, Latin music will be featured during MLB broadcasts. Grammy-Award winning Cuban recording artist Willy Chirino will give a rendition of the theme song from “El Novato,” which will be the official theme song for the 2013 season. The song which will debut on this Sunday’s Opening Night coverage, tells the story of young players’ struggles during their beginnings in baseball.
“El Novato” was filmed in Miami, Florida. The salsa piece was arranged by Grammy-Award winner Agustin Espina and written by composer and baseball journalist Leonte Landino. Photography by Grammy-Award winning director Luis Miguel Leal from Salto Angel Media.
· ESPN Deportes will air 23 regular-season games every Sunday for Domingo de Grandes Ligas at 8 p.m. ET
· Play-by-play and commentary will be provided by renowned baseball experts Ernesto Jerez (play-by-play), Luis Alfredo Alvarez (analyst) and Guillermo Celis (field reporter)
· The network will also air the Home Run Derby, where the best sluggers from each league come together to battle it out for the title.
· Béisbol Esta Noche, ESPN Deportes’ baseball news and analysis show, will give viewers all sides of the argument every Sunday during the regular season at 7:30 p.m. ET. Baseball expert Carolina Guillen, and former MLB star Candy Maldonado return as hosts. Alex Cora, former MLB players and Manny Acta, former MLB manager, will regularly participate as guest analysts.
ESPN Deportes Radio
· The radio network will offer 2013 regular-season games each Sunday for the MLB “Game of the Week,” starting March 31 at 8 p.m. ET
· Renato Bermúdez and José Francisco Rivera will provide play-by-play and commentary for the radio audience.
· Owned radio stations ESPN Deportes Dallas 1540 and ESPN Deportes New York 1050 will serve as the flagship radio stations for the Texas Rangers and the New York Mets, respectively.
ESPNdeportes.com will offer exclusive MLB content, including special reports from big league expert Enrique Rojas, game predictions, team-by-team and individual player Power Ranking.
Features will include:
· Pre- and post-game analysis
· Online video content including interviews and special features
· Live chats with ESPN’s team of experts
· Podcasts: Interviews with Enrique Rojas and Carolina Guillen
· Fantasy Baseball Challenge 2013
· GameCast, scorekeeper of each MLB game
· The web series “Two Men on Base” with Guillermo Celis and Fernando Alvarez
· The web series “Candy’s Corner”
· Features on Latino players
· MVP and LVP analysis: Jorge Morejón selects the hottest and coldest Latino players of the week
· Power Rankings
· Blog: “Off the top of Rojas’ Head,” hosted by Enrique Rojas