With Hispanic Heritage Month kicking off this week, Telemundo and NBCUniversal are celebrating with an energizing new campaign that recognizes the vibrant and diverse culture of the Hispanic community through activations, special content and programming across the company all month long.
Telemundo Enterprises is leading the charge with the next iteration of its bilingual campaign, “Be the Next Story Told” (El Futuro Lo Escribes Tú) – a multiplatform initiative honoring and recognizing the culture, spirit, and achievements of Hispanics in the U.S. The campaign, adopted across NBCUniversal channels and social networks for three consecutive years, celebrates the rich and diverse culture of U.S. Hispanics highlighting individuals who have left a significant impact in our community.
“Be the Next Story Told” (El Futuro Lo Escribes Tú) invites all Latinos to play a part in shaping their narrative by sharing their stories as inspiration for future generations. The campaign’s celebratory anthem spot features an original song delivering an inspiring message in both English and Spanish, and includes special appearances by:
- Singer and songwriter Camila Cabello
- Telemundo’s award-winning sports presenters Ana Jurka and Andrés Cantor
- Prominent journalists including Noticias Telemundo news anchor Julio Vaqueiro, MSNBC’s José Díaz-Balart and Alicia Menendez, NBC News Now’s Tom Llamas and CNBC’s Bertha Coombs
- Latino athletes including NFL player Isaiah Pacheco, USA soccer player Sofia Huerta, Isaác Brizuela from the soccer team Guadalajara, and WWE Superstars Cruz del Toro, Rey Mysterio and Zelina Vega
- TV personalities including actor Marcello Hernández from Saturday Night Live, actress and television personality Sofia Vergara, the host of Telemundo’s morning show Hoy Día, Chiky Bombom, and the acclaimed actor and host John Leguizamo
The campaign comes to life starting this Friday, September 15th with the anthem spot airing on NBC’s TODAY and Telemundo’s morning show “Hoy Día,” followed by an NBCUniversal portfolio social media roadblock. Each following week will focus on a rallying theme – including heritage, contributions, culture, and diversity. Telemundo.com/HerenciaHispana will be the home for all “Be the Next Story Told” themed content in Spanish and English.
During this year’s Hispanic Heritage and beyond, NBCUniversal Advertising & Partnerships is partnering with globally recognized brands to demonstrate the scale, impact and influence of Hispanic Audiences. Through a variety of unique, engaging content experiences, NBCUniversal and its partners hope to inspire, elevate and celebrate this diverse audience in a meaningful way. Kicking-off with the 2023 Billboard Latin Music Awards, NBCUniversal and Telemundo will welcome new and returning sponsors including McDonald’s Spotlight Dorado, Rockstar Energy Drink, State Farm®, and Volkswagen, where they tap into the power of music and the connection to culture to create can’t miss moments for fans. Experian will tap into the NBCUniversal portfolio – through original and custom content – to maximize awareness and support credit education for Hispanic audiences with free tools like the Experian Spanish Language Credit Report and FICO Score. Plus, Dove will be leaning into Peacock’s successful ad innovations slate allowing viewers to discover diverse stories and voices through the streaming platform’s curator ad. And with the return of Open Doors: Together We Thrive (Abriendo Caminos) NBCUniversal will continue its efforts to make an impact on diverse, small businesses. With partners State Farm® and Walton Isaacson, Open Doors will spotlight a Hispanic-owned small business in addition to providing strategic tools and resources through a bi-lingual marketing playbook to small businesses everywhere.
As Hispanic Heritage celebrations continue, the NBCUniversal portfolio-wide campaign features an entire month of unique programming, curated content, as well as broadcast, digital, and social initiatives, including:
- Telemundo entertainment and news programming will highlight Hispanic Heritage celebrations, ranging from featuring Hispanic changemakers to celebrating cultural elements.
- Noticias Telemundo will feature special weekly stories during its midday, evening and weekend newscasts, showcasing Latino contributions to the arts, business, culture and sports.
- In partnership with Axios, Telemundo is co-hosting the second annual Axios Latino Visionarios event celebrating the contributions of Latinos. This year’s event will be held Sept. 14 in Los Angeles and include deep-dive interviews with prominent Latino newsmakers across entertainment, policy and culture.
- Telemundo journalists will be featured among a group of Latina reporters in a special exhibition at the Smithsonian National Museum of History called “De última hora: Latinas report breaking news.” The bilingual exhibition showcases the work of broadcast Latina journalists including Noticias Telemundo Washington Bureau Chief Lori Montenegro, Telemundo 52 Los Angeles Anchor Dunia Elvir and Telemundo 51 Senior Reporter Marilys Llanos.
- Telemundo Deportes program Zona Mixta and digital properties will profile Hispanic American athletes throughout the month.
- Telemundo’s award-winning, corporate social responsibility program El Poder en Ti will curate an exclusive interview/profile series showcasing Hispanic leaders.
- El Poder En Ti will launch “Cáncer de Seno: Científicas Construyendo Un Mejor Futuro,” an interview series in partnership with Susan G. Komen timed with Breast Cancer Awareness Month, highlighting three Latina Komen Scholars and the pioneering work they are doing for the Hispanic community.
- Telemundo will host two Hispanic Heritage sweepstakes in partnership with Universal Home Entertainment and Xfinity Rewards. Prizes include free movies, and the opportunity to win a chance to attend the 2023 Billboard Latin Music Awards in Miami.
- On Digital platforms, the Telemundo Mobile App will feature premium content reflecting the importance of Hispanic Heritage, curated editorial collections, and audiences on YouTube can stream Telemundo’s Hispanic Heritage Month content via the El Futuro Lo Escribes Tú Playlist.
- Telemundo and NBCUniversal employees can look forward to activations throughout the month with various Hispanic Heritage focused events, communications, and showcases. Participating Telemundo employees and their abuelos y abuelas will be featured across the company in weekly newsletters, social media, and more.
- NBC NEWS & MSNBC: NBC News and MSNBC will spotlight Hispanic Heritage stories across TODAY, NBC Nightly News and MSNBC, as well as NBC News NOW and NBCNews.com. As part of the digital focus, NBC Latino will feature multimedia pieces on Latino identity and NBC News NOW’s Top Story with Tom Llamas will include a special focus during its daily “The Americas” segment.
- NBC Sports: NBC sports will integrate campaign elements throughout the month across all social media platforms, including featuring notable Hispanic women athletes on the On Her Turf platform.
- CNBC: Across all platforms, CNBC will feature notable Hispanic leaders, investors, and executives across a variety of industries and report on timely topics that focus on the intersection of the Hispanic community and global economy such as personal finance, closing the wealth gap, energy, healthcare, small business, technology, AI and more. CNBC and CNBC en Español will also be partnering with Telemundo network and local stations for the second year in a row to collaborate on stories impacting the Hispanic community.
- Universal Kids: Universal Kids will be airing Spanish-language episodes of the animated series and family-favorite, Masha and the Bear.
- USA Network: USA Network will be producing WWE custom vignettes for on-air programming and social media platforms.
- Peacock: Peacock will feature a Hispanic Heritage collection called Nuestras Voces, including TPlus content.
- NBCUniversal Local: NBC and Telemundo owned stations will present special coverage and programming in celebration of Hispanic Heritage on the day of the campaign’s launch, engage in the company-wide roadblock, highlight promotional spots throughout its divisions, and feature customized local integrations throughout platforms.