Telemundo NBCUniversal 2023-24 Multiplatform Programming Line-up
May 13, 2023
Telemundo / NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises revealed its upcoming 2023-24 multiplatform programming lineup, featuring powerful offerings across entertainment, news, and sports content, as well as new details for Tplus productions on Peacock. At its upfront presentation next week, the network will invite brands to “Come With Us” as Telemundo and NBCUniversal celebrate Latinos, and welcome marketers to activate in recognizing their vibrancy, diversity, and far reaching influence in American culture.
Powered by Telemundo, every month NBCUniversal reaches 8 out of 10 Hispanics. In the coveted adults aged 18-49 demographic, Telemundo was the fastest growing major broadcast network in weekday primetime (8-11) regardless of language within the season, delivering 45% growth in the last quarter vs fourth quarter of 2022. Powered by the return of El Señor de los Cielos’s eighth season, the network ranked #1 regardless of language at 9 PM since its January 17 premiere among adults aged 18-49, with the title also ranking as the #1 program on Spanish TV, regardless of timeslot. The show premiered following coverage of FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ that drew record audiences to Telemundo and Peacock, breaking streaming and broadcast viewership records.
“Latinos continue to fuel the demographic and economic growth engine of our country as one of the most important opportunities for business in America,” said Beau Ferrari, Chairman, NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. “Latinos are transforming our society and shaping mainstream culture. As America’s #1 Spanish language content powerhouse, we are excited to present a robust content offering across entertainment, news and sports featuring premium properties, the biggest stars and tentpoles designed to reach and engage the full spectrum of Latinos at scale, in both languages and across all platforms.”
“We all know Latinos are one of the fastest growing and most influential communities in this country. So, when you combine the power of Telemundo’s content with the massive reach of Comcast NBCUniversal’s One Platform, you have the most complete and effective way to engage this essential audience,” said Linda Yaccarino, Chairman, Global Advertising and Partnerships, NBCUniversal. “No other company or platform can give marketers everything they need—all in one place—to tap into Latinos’ $1.8 trillion purchasing power, in English and Spanish.”
Telemundo’s slate will showcase a strong line up of original premium content across entertainment, news and sports, as well as Tplus-branded titles coming to Peacock and other platforms.
On the heels of a record-shattering FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 ™, the excitement kicks off this summer with the hotly anticipated FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia and New Zealand 2023 ™ , featuring the U.S. Women’s national team defending their title as reigning champions. All 64 matches will be televised live and exclusively in Spanish across Telemundo and the cable channel Universo, and will stream live on Peacock. Telemundo’s presentation marks the first time in U.S. television history the women’s competition is broadcast on linear platforms in its entirety in Spanish and will feature the most matches ever airing live on a U.S. broadcast network, regardless of language. The sports excitement on Telemundo and Universo continues with extensive Spanish-language coverage of the 2024 Paris Olympic Games, for the first time ever with live coverage of the opening ceremony on the River Seine, bringing viewers the inspirational stories featuring the best Latino athletes and international stars, and covering the most high-profile sports and events of the Summer Games, including serving as the home of the men’s and women’s soccer competitions in Spanish, with a special focus on Team USA.
The network announced the return of its most loved and longest running Super Series™ franchise El Señor de los Cielos, back for a riveting 9th season with fan-favorite protagonist Rafael Amaya. The returning season will mark the 750th episode of the series and celebrate its 10th anniversary. In addition to the expansion of the network’s most established scripted IP, a wide array of original Telemundo Global Studios productions were announced, bringing drama, suspense, romance and mystery to primetime, including Vuelve a Mi, starring William Levy; El Conde: Amor y Honor a period drama starring Fernando Colunga; the dramatic thriller Mujer de Oro; the first co-production with Turkey’s Inter Medya studios Atrapada en la Jaula Azul; and the latest Turkish scripted series Secretos de Sangre premiering later this month. The network will continue to expand its successful portfolio of bold unscripted programs. Fan favorite La Casa de Los Famosos, the most popular reality series in Spanish language TV, returns for a fourth season alongside the new reality series Paraiso de los Famosos (working title). The all new reality competition Los 50 brings an innovative and never-before-seen competition format to American television, along with the return of hit shows Top Chef VIP and Exatlon Estados Unidos All Stars giving all new online access to the contestants’ day to day lives.
Based on both the success of its robust multiplatform portfolio and market demand for digital offerings from the network, Telemundo is expanding its Tplus streaming brand in both the SVOD and AVOD space, focused on reaching the full spectrum of U.S. Latinos.
In the AVOD space, Tplus will expand its free-ad-supported (FAST) channel offerings. In addition to the news-focused Noticias Telemundo Ahora channel, Tplus will launch a sports-focused channel, Telemundo Deportes Ahora.
Noticias Telemundo Ahora is a 24/7 premium Spanish language news channel, tapping into the network’s unrivaled reporting resources and featuring breaking news, features, current affairs, and a look at the biggest news topics through a U.S. Hispanic lens. On the heels of FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, Telemundo Deportes Ahora will offer the best bilingual streaming destination for sports superfans, with content produced by the Emmy-award winning team at Telemundo Deportes, including pre- and post-game analysis, original shows, and even more content for fans around Telemundo’s biggest sports properties. Tplus also teased additional entertainment-focused FAST channels to be launched later in the year.
Telemundo’s Tplus brand, continues to develop new originals alongside the biggest names in Latino entertainment, including the recently released, headline-making limited-series Menendez & Menudo: Boys Betrayed on Peacock. As the brand continues to cement its place as a leader in the space, Tplus announced an exclusive first look deal with Wilmer Valderrama’s WV Entertainment. Led by WVE’s SVP of Production & Development Jessica Acevedo, this partnership will bring Hispanic-led TV projects to SVOD services for Hispanic audiences around the world. WV Entertainment has led the way in highlighting and uplifting the stories of LatinX and underrepresented communities across traditional media and podcasts and will further this mission via this new partnership.
Telemundo consistently ranks as a top network regardless of language, during primetime among all broadcast and cable networks among adults 18-49. In addition to achieving the fastest growth and record viewership numbers, Telemundo continues to deliver record multi-platform performance. Telemundo’s digital properties continue to register unprecedented growth with the Telemundo app delivering once again the highest number of viewers on record — and the highest engagement among NBCUniversal properties – ranking as the #1 broadcast entertainment entity in total video minutes, regardless of language. Telemundo continues to be the #1 broadcast network on YouTube– with more than 14 million subscribers – and is the #1 Hispanic network across all social media in audience size.
2023-24 PROGRAMMING LINE UP
TELEMUNDO SCRIPTED PROGRAMMING:
- El Señor de los Cielos 9: In the ninth season, Aurelio will have no other option but to return to the violent nature that runs in his blood, accepting, once and for all, that the Casillas family will never live in peace. After his son Ismael gets arrested, Aurelio’s wrath awakens and unleashes a wave of violence in the country in an attempt to seek revenge and defend his family. With new and old enemies to neutralize, the legendary drug lord will show no mercy and let out the beast that made him the infamous Lord of the Skies.
- Vuelve a Mi: Starring William Levy and Samadhi Zendejas, with Kimberly Dos Ramos as the antagonist, this romantic drama follows Nuria, a woman of humble means, who begins a brief relationship with Braulio without knowing that he is one of the owners of the company where she works to support her son and sister. The lives of the main characters begin to intertwine after the tragic kidnapping of Andrés, Nuria’s son. In this drama full of love triangles, a mother’s unconditional love for her son will become the common thread that drives the story.
- El Conde: Amor y Honor: The stellar cast of this period drama includes Fernando Colunga, Ana Brenda Contreras, Marjorie de Sousa, Chantal Andere and Sergio Sendel, among many others. The series tells the story of Alejandro, a humble young farmer, and Mariana, a beautiful and rebellious young woman, who live a beautiful love story. But Josefina de Zambrano, Mariana’s stepmother, and Gerardo Villarreal conspire to turn their relationship into a living hell. When Alejandro is charged with a double homicide, without anyone knowing his fate, he is transferred to a dungeon on a remote island. There he meets a Spanish nobleman serving a life sentence who will reveal to Alejandro that he has a hidden treasure, leaving him this fortune before his death. When Alejandro manages to escape in the 50s, he returns to San Jacinto with an immense fortune and discovers that Mariana married Gerardo and that he was left for dead. He then decides to execute a plan to bring justice against those who betrayed him, especially Mariana who he believes is part of the conspiracy. Alejandro returns as the powerful Count Joaquín de Montenegro, unleashing a dangerous quest for revenge against those responsible for his wrongful imprisonment.
- Mujer de Oro: An original idea by Jose Ignacio Valenzuela, better known as “El Chascas”, this dramatic thriller follows Rebecca Arismendi, a widowed millionaire who inherits a chain of jewelry stores after the mysterious death of her husband. Quickly entangled in a new relationship with her personal trainer, she is surprised to discover that her late husband’s testament leaves part of the company ownership to his first wife and Rebecca’s daughter, Beatriz. The shocking news creates a ripple effect of secretive passions, betrayals, revenge, duels for power and eventually, death.Currently in production, this is the first premium series to result from Telemundo Global Studios’ co-production agreement with Turkey’s Inter Medya. In this suspense drama, Oğuz has lost his wife and resettled with his children in a coastal town where fate has him save a young woman by the name of Defne and bring her into his home. Her presence brings back some of the hope they had all lost. When this woman recovers her lost memory, she realizes she was a con artist who must now remain in hiding. How long can Defne keep her secret safe? What will Oğuz do when he finds out about the mob? Will it drive him away?
- Secretos de Sangre: This hit Turkish series revolves around a fearless lawyer and a respected prosecutor whose paths cross during a crime investigation. A love story like no other, the couple’s relationship will get put to the test as they discover that, in this drama, everyone has a secret. The captivating story follows a young defense attorney and a respected prosecutor working together to solve a murder case. The pair falls madly in love, but the story takes an unexpected turn when the investigation begins, and secrets that implicate a family member in the murder unravel. A global success that has been sold in over 20 countries, Secretos de Sangre is a love storset up in a legal environment that will enthrall viewers from the first episode as they question what is fair and true in this heart-stomping drama of two families, one crime and the love that binds them.
TELEMUNDO REALITY PROGRAMMING:
- La Casa de los Famosos (Celebrity House): La Casa de los Famosos, hosted by Sandarti and Jimena Gállego, is a successful format that opens a window into celebrities’ most intimate moments, offering a multiplatform experience without filters with its linear version and exclusive access on LaCasadelosFamosos.com. With numerous hidden cameras and microphones capturing the housemates’ movements 24/7, viewers can witness all the dynamic alliances, rivalries, and romances that develop, and submit their vote every week to ultimately decide which housemate will be crowned the winner of the coveted cash prize at the end of the competition.
- Top Chef VIP: Featuring two-hour weekday episodes full of adrenaline, drama and surprises, Top Chef VIP presents a group of 20 celebrities who enter the most demanding kitchen on television to test their skills and conquer the palates of the three renowned Latino chefs who will judge their performance and effort when cooking. Hosted by renowned actress Carmen Villalobos, alongside a judging panel made up of chefs Antonio de Livier, Adria Marina Montaño and Juan Manuel Barrientos, this epic family-friendly reality competition shows how each of these celebrities will bring a mix of creativity, excitement, and a dash of drama throughout their journey to win the coveted Top Chef VIP title and $100,000 cash prize.
- Exatlón Estados Unidos All Stars: Hosted by Frederik Oldenburg, Exatlón Estados Unidos All Stars, is a sports competition featuring participants from the Red Team and the Blue Team who put their physical and mental skills to the test against a series of innovative circuits and challenges. During their stay in the fiercest arenas on the planet, they will share their day-to-day as they live in isolation from the outside world through the exclusive access on Exatlon Xtra via ExatlonEU.com. After giving the competition all their strength, endurance and hard work, both a man and a woman will be crowned with the coveted title, trophy, and a cash prize.
- Paraiso de los Famosos (working title): Twenty celebrities are dropped on a deserted island with little more than the clothes on their back and basic supply caches, about to embark on the ultimate journey of endurance. These larger-than-life characters, from different backgrounds, will be tested and challenged at every turn, pitted against each other across varied and intense terrains where they must battle themselves and the locations to make it through. Authentic and relentless, this survival reality competition will put these stars to the ultimate test of ingenuity and skills. Their relationships will be as important as their survival skills as they will need to rely on their instincts, individual skill sets and partnerships during daily tasks. After months of grueling battles, only one celebrity, the most resilient, resourceful and adaptable, will take home the $200k grand prize.
- Los 50: Fifty stars will come together in a competition like no other. They will live together in an exotic mansion while competing against each other in a relentless and unpredictable game. As they face challenges posed by the masked game master, they will have to make alliances and develop strategies to avoid elimination. With each game, they play in the hopes of adding money to the grand prize which can total up to $400,000. In the end, only one player will walk away with the grand prize and, in a first for Telemundo, one fan of the show will also win a part of the cash prize!
As the exclusive Spanish-language home of the FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023™ and of the United States Women’s and Men’s National Teams, Telemundo is the destination for the premier sports programming in Spanish language, delivering a comprehensive offering of live and studio programming and coverage of the most significant and in-demand sporting events. Telemundo’s partnership with the U.S. Soccer Federation across all platforms, including Peacock, calls for the network to air more than 20 U.S. Women’s and Men’s National Team matches each year including and culminating with coverage of special events and content opportunities during Send-Off matches, the 2024 Paris Olympic Games, and leading up to, during and following the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ will take place this summer in Australia & New Zealand from Jul. 20 to Aug. 20, and the network is prepared to deliver complete and exclusive coverage in Spanish of all 64 matches, up from 52 matches in 2019. Telemundo and Universo are set to present 33 and 31 matches respectively – the most Women’s World Cup matches ever on a U.S. broadcast network regardless of language. Telemundo Deportes’ cross-continental production will feature extensive and far-reaching on-the-ground coverage across Australia and New Zealand, as well as coverage from the company’s state-of-the-art Telemundo Center in Miami.
In addition to the Women’s World Cup, this year’s line-up includes serving as the exclusive U.S. home for Liga MX’s Chivas de Guadalajara home matches and Spanish-language coverage of the Premier League. Telemundo will again deliver Spanish-language coverage of NFL’s Sunday Night Football, continuing the historic momentum from airing Super Bowl LVI, the most-watched NFL game in Spanish-language history and the decade’s highest-rated Spanish-language non-soccer sporting event.
Across its award-winning news programs, Noticias Telemundo uses insightful on-the-ground reporting and the latest innovative storytelling tools to chronicle the most important issues impacting Latinos. The newscasts produced by Telemundo’s marquee news division also regularly feature wide-ranging interviews with leading newsmakers in politics, business, entertainment, the arts and sports who are influencing today’s world. As the 2024 presidential race begins in earnest, Noticias Telemundo plans to deliver comprehensive multi-platform coverage of the candidates and issues shaping next year’s election. With the Latino vote more important than ever, Noticias Telemundo remains the most reliable source of news and information on national and international issues and topics facing Hispanics. Anchored by Julio Vaqueiro, the acclaimed team of anchors and correspondents offers the latest breaking news, front lines reporting and in-depth analysis every day.
Telemundo continues its reign as the premier destination producing and airing the hottest live events and awards. The Billboard Latin Music Awards, produced and broadcast by Telemundo, remains the only awards show to honor the most popular albums, songs, and performers in Latin music, as determined by Billboard’s renowned weekly charts. Latin music’s longest-running and prestigious awards show will broadcast LIVE from Miami in October, featuring chart-topping music sensations from across Latin music. To help audiences celebrate end of year festivities, Telemundo will once again air the iconic Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade live from New York on Thanksgiving Day, and is scheduled to kick-off the New Year with a bang with the second edition of the successful New Year’s Eve extravaganza, Bienvenido 2024.
- Reggaeton: The Sound that Conquered the World: This is the story of a grassroots music scene that grew from a local sound in the barrios of Puerto Rico, into a global movement heard ‘round the world. Reggaeton has shattered the conventional notions of borders and barriers and now defines cultural and commercial success in the global music industry. Our story will be told primarily through the eyes of Executive Producer Daddy Yankee, who is regarded as one of the founding and most influential members of the genre. He will be joined by a slew of other artists who will add their own take on how Reggaeton has taken over the globe.
- 90 Minutes: Benito “El Veneno (The Venom)” Montoya, a former soccer player on the wane, will have to rescue “Las Navajas de Ecatepec”, the small and discreet local team where he began his career, after learning that Yuriel Santana, the richest man in Ecatepec and a famous criminal, intends to destroy the sports club to turn it into a huge casino. “El Veneno” will have to transform his group of childhood friends: an old mechanic, a depressed taxi driver, an intense taquero, a strange street vendor and a grumpy Indian grocer, from a group of perfect losers to a real team, rediscovering in the process the love for their neighborhood, for their people and for themselves.
- Gente Sana: Award-winning global music icon J Balvin’s candid revelations about his journey towards mental wellness remain a significant part of his legend. From Exile Content Studio and NBC News Studios, in “Gente Sana,” the Colombian-born artist pays his journey forward by visiting the homes of his closest friends, allowing viewers into an exclusive and intimate look at their worlds. A six-part docu-series, J Balvin leads the way through the backstories that shaped their lives, the challenges they’ve overcome, and how they continue to protect their happiness and find peace.